So Be Prepared, Not Surprised
By Mila McManus, MD
As we move into the cold and flu season, take precautions now to protect yourself and your family from infections. Public Health experts from the American Medical Association are already seeing significant COVID, influenza (flu) and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) kicking up and going around.
Be proactive! That means focusing on all of the key pillars of your health:
- A whole food diet and good hydration – maintaining balanced blood sugar is important
- Keep your gut healthy – easy on the alcohol, sugar, wheat, and pain relievers, while taking your probiotic and drinking some bone broth.
- Get quality rest and sleep
- Avoid toxins and support detoxification – see gut health above and step into the IR sauna too!
- Manage stress – take time for quiet meditation and/or deep breathing
- Make use of appropriate supplementation – see below
For most, a healthy diet still cannot provide adequate nutrition for a strong immune system because of poor food quality, daily stressors, and the toxicity of our world. Especially in light of COVID, flu, and RSV season converging, I recommend a daily minimum of vitamin D3, a multivitamin, and a quality probiotic. For those with compromised immune systems, or who are living and working in higher exposure areas, or traveling, a selection from the following supplements would be wise additions:
- Vitamin C
- Nebulizer Treatments with Vitamin C/DSMO/Magnesium or Glutathione (and other options to discuss with one of our healthcare providers)
- Tri-Immune Vitamin Injections (available at our office). These contain vitamin C, zinc, and glutathione
- Immune Booster IV
- Silverbiotics Silver Sol™
All of these options along with common sense measures such as thorough hand washing and avoiding crowds will help to make your holiday season and winter a healthy experience. If you are unsure about which supplements would be best for you, do not hesitate to consult with our medical providers for a customized plan that’s right for you.
Please also remember that we offer phone and Zoom routine appointments as well as urgent care appointments.
Happy and Healthy Holiday Season!
MorningRounds@ama.custombriefings.com, October 24, 2022.