Makes 2 Cups
- 1 cup shredded goat cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Manchego sheep cheese
- ⅓ cup avocado mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped pimento or roasted bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill
Shopping and Preparation Instructions:
- 1. Select a firm goat or sheep cheese. Ideal choices include Montchevre Goat Cheddar Cheese and a Manchego sheep cheese. Pecorino Romano works too IF you like a very salty dip. Use a grater to shred them.
- 2. Buy a jar of chopped pimento or roasted red bell pepper. Put it in a very small prep bowl and cut with scissors until pieces are small.
- 3. Choose an avocado oil mayonnaise such as Primal Kitchen, Sir Kensington’s or Chosen Foods.
- 4. Combine all ingredients together blending with a fork and refrigerate to allow flavors to develop.
- 5. Serve as a dip with Mary’s Gone Crackers or Beanitos. Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Casein is one of the proteins found in milk and the protein from which cheeses are made. There are two kinds of beta-casein, A1 and A2. Some cows produce both proteins( most breeds raised in the U.S.) while other breeds of cows, along with most other milk producing animals (goats, sheep, and camel) produce purely A2 milk. Recent research has suggested that milk containing A1 casein can potentially lead to adverse health outcomes including problems with blood sugar and cardiovascular issues.2 Some other health risks associated with A1 milk can be digestive issues, intolerance to dairy products, and even a slowing of cognitive processes.3
By Ortho Molecular Products
CitraNOX is formulated specifically to maintain healthy blood pressure levels by enhancing endothelial cell and arterial function. Using a combination of high-dose L-cirtulline, quercetin and grape seed extract, CitraNOX delivers full-spectrum support to help maintain normal inflammatory balance, arterial elasticity, optimal nitric oxide levels, and blood flow. Citra NOX provides a powerful formula for those seeking to optimize several mechanism of cardiovascular health.
*Information taken directly from the Ortho Molecular Product Information Sheet for CitraNOX.
By Guest Contributor Christine Prohl, BodyMind Coach and Integrative Massage Therapist
Edited by Mila McManus MD
We live in a world that values busyness and achievement and we’ve been taught to ignore the warning signs our bodies are sending us.
BodyMind coaching is a combination of a massage and a structured coaching conversation which helps guide people back into their bodies to create simple, yet powerful shifts so that they can move out of pain and frustration and into freedom and ease. It addresses all aspects of stress, physical and emotional.
A Custom Integrative Massage uses various advanced techniques which are customized to the individual client’s needs. For example, a person may have tight fascia with constant muscle aches, or might retain fluid that needs draining by stimulating lymph flow. Another person may need to focus more on relaxation and mood with a lighter massage and some essential oils.
Sessions may include any combination of the following:
- Swedish Massage – The most commonly offered and best known type of massage. Excellent for stress relief, boosted immune system, improved sleep, reduced anxiety and reduced fatigue.
- Deep Tissue Massage – Similar to Swedish but with deeper more specific pressure. Designed to increase circulation and reduce restriction and pain in the fascia and muscle tissue.
- Neuromuscular Therapy – NMT is a form of soft-tissue manipulation designed to treat the underlying causes of chronic pain involving the muscular and nervous systems. It benefits you through reducing pain, improving posture, relieving trigger points. This type of massage is beneficial for relief of chronic pain, recovery from injuries such as whiplash or sports injuries, repetitive stress injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome, postural problems, etc.
- Sports Massage – Techniques designed to help prepare for or recover from strenuous activity or an athletic event. It’s not just for athletes! It’s great for someone getting back into a workout routine or a weekend warrior who did too much yard work all at once.
- Lymphatic Drainage – a very light touch technique to help clear out areas of lymph congestion.
Additional services that can be scheduled as individual appointments or as add-ons to the Custom Integrative Massage session include:
- FasciaBlasting – Incorporates a massage tool specifically designed to reduce restrictions, adhesions and distortions in the fascia system of the body. Great for pain relief and improved circulation.
- Cupping – Includes the use of special cups on your skin to create suction. Benefits include decreased pain and inflammation and increased circulation.
- Infrared Sauna – There are many benefits to sitting in an IR sauna including pain relief and detoxification.
- Essential Oils – Can be added to any service. Certified pure therapeutic grade oils have been shown to help relieve pain, improve mood and promote a sense of relaxation.
Through a powerful combination of coaching and bodywork, we will notice where and how stress shows up in your body and learn to shift toward experiencing more clarity and contentment. This intentional conversation is followed up with amazing bodywork to integrate these new insights on a physiological level.
The Woodlands Institute for Health & Wellness welcomes Christine Prohl to our facility!
She moved her office here on April 1, 2019. She has been Dr. McManus’ personal massage therapist for years, and Dr. McManus recently transitioned to BodyMind coaching with her.
Testimonial from Dr McManus: “Christine is amazing at what she does! I’ve never known a massage therapist who offers, and excels at, so many different techniques.”
If you’d like to learn more about BodyMind coaching or integrative massage, you can contact Christine Prohl at 832-338-7792.
Good Morning. When we first met, you asked me, “What are 3 things you want to change”? For me, I only wanted to change one thing, and by changing this one thing, # 2, #3, and anything else I wanted to change, would eventually fall into place. That #1 thing was to feel better inside this body. I didn’t put much stock in Ondamed, just like I didn’t put much stock into anything else people told me that, “well this works for 90% of all people”, for the past 6 years. Luckily, Ondamed put more stock into me than I did it. When I woke up this morning, I felt better than I have in probably the past 7 years. I didn’t wake up feeling like a truck ran me over, backed up, ran me over again and asked me to change the oil while I was down there. Putting things in perspective: I didn’t Mary Lou Retton off the mattress, but I was far from Robert DeNiro in the movie Awakenings. There isn’t really anything specific I can point out that changed, other than after the session, the headache that I walked in with was gone, and my dizzy symptoms have reduced a lot (knock on wood). That one session of Ondamed did more for me than doctors, tests and diets have done in the past 6 years. Thank you very much for the help, and have a good weekend.
By Allen Rikke
ANTI-AGING * ANTI-INFLAMMATORY * ANTI-BACTERIAL/VIRAL
An Ozone Steam Sauna Therapy Session, sometimes referred to as an “Activated Oxygen” session, is one of the most effective methods of cleansing the body of toxins and enhancing the body’s normal metabolic processes. Medical-grade ozone has been in use since the early 1900s and is widely-used around the world today, in countries such as Germany, Italy, and Russia. An Activated Oxygen session is one of the most powerful methods in existence of detoxifying and oxygenating the body. Due to the moist heat in the steam sauna, the pores are opened up and the capillaries are dilated to allow for maximum ozone and oxygen absorption through the skin (transdermal infusion). As the ozone enters the body, it immediately oxidizes all toxins in the fat, lymph system, and blood. Ozone is incredible at rejuvenating, detoxifying, and regenerating. Ozone is also an immune enhancer, and physical and mental energizer.
What benefits does ozone therapy offer?
- Ozone destroys bacterial and viral pathogens by oxidation, and purges the body of toxins.
- Ozone sessions burn about 400 calories per 20-minute session, which promotes safe fat-burning of cells.
- Ozone detoxifies the body, especially the blood (increases alkalinity pH by 2 points for up to 36 hrs.).
- Ozone increases oxygenation and enhances nutrient delivery within the body (ATP/Krebs Cycle).
- Ozone relaxes sore muscles and joints and reduces lactic acid, which allows for optimum recovery.
- Ozone reduces inflammation, which allows for proper circulation and natural healing.
- Ozone strengthens the immune system, including the production of white blood cells (T-Cells).
- Ozone degrades petrochemicals, which place a heavy burden on the immune system.
- Ozone significantly increases Interferon Levels.
- Ozone stimulates the production of Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF).
Ozone is only dangerous if used in high concentration, or when inhaled, which can lead to lung irritation or damage. O3zone uses safe concentrations and there’s no need to worry about inhalation.
Please join TWIHW in welcoming Allen Rikke II and O3ZONE Therapy Services to our facility as of April 1st! As a former top-level college football player, Mr. Rikke believes in the importance of healthy living. He founded O3ZONE Therapy Services in 2013 and opened the first treatment center in 2014. He believes that everyone can live better and healthier lives with consistent ozone steam sauna therapy sessions.
By Nancy Mehlert, MS
Here is a great example of the uncertainty of ingredient labels and the fact that manufacturers have a great deal of leeway regarding what they put on the label.
In March 2016, I spotted this product (Left) and while “ Made in China” gave me pause, my confidence was regained when I saw the Non GMO Project Certification, USDA Organic Certification and the Certification as a Gluten Free Product.
The label read, Ingredients: Organic Black Beans. Manufactured on shared equipment and may contain trace soy. (Right)
That did not surprise me since their other products on the same shelf included soy pasta, specifically an edamame pasta. Nevertheless, I was aware of the many health benefits of black beans including the obvious high fiber content and the protein was surprisingly good (this should have been my first clue!), so I gave it a try. It was very good, and the texture was very much like wheat pasta. We decided to recommend it to our patients and, while not everyone loved it, many did.
Last week, (February 28, 2019), I picked up another box and noticed (since I’m always looking) there has been an interesting change on the package ingredients.
It tastes the same and looks the same. Price is the same. What I suspect now is that it has ALWAYS been soybeans. Who knew there were black soybeans? And why didn’t the manufacturer say that in the first place? Soy is a highly allergenic food for many people. I wonder if they had a few complaints? Who knows what else we don’t know about this food product?
It is in a box. It is a processed food product. And it was not what we thought it was. I’m glad lettuce is lettuce and an apple is an apple. I’m sticking with real, whole food. Let’s all do that, shall we?
Be well. Choose well. Eat well.
Transfer factors exist naturally in the human body and are short strands of amino acids and small bits of ribonucleic acid (RNA).
According to Aaron White, Ph.D. and author of Transfer Factors & Immune System Health, “research strongly suggests that transfer factors are effective for helping the body beat an array of disease states that involve faulty or overloaded immune function and can prevent infections before they occur. Transfer factors seem to prime the body for battle against intracellular pathogens, like viruses, mycobacteria and cell wall deficient bacteria, and help squash infections before they can take root. Transfer factors turn non-immune-related white blood cells into immune-related white blood cells and stimulate the birth of new Helper and Cytotoxic T-Cells, Natural Killer cells and macrophages. After stimulating an increase in T-cell counts, transfer factors orient these new T-cells toward a target presumably by influencing the nature of the antigen (protein of the pathogen) receptors expressed by the cells. Further, by binding to antigens on infected body cells, transfer factors paint infected cells for destruction by Cytotoxic T-cells.”
In individuals with chronic immune-related conditions, Natural Killer activity is often suppressed. Transfer factors, taken supplementally, are effective at promoting healthy NK cell function and strengthen the immune response.
Transfer Factor Multi Immune is a comprehensive immune support which fortifies the front line of our immune systems by promoting healthy natural killer cell function.
Formulas are also available to target tick-born pathogens, environmental challenges and fatigue.
1 large or 2 small organic apple(s), washed
1 to 2 stalks organic celery, washed
¼ cup walnut pieces
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise*
Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1. Slice and dice the apple into small pieces into a medium bowl. (using two different colors is visually nice).
- 2. Slice the celery stalks in half length-wise, then dice celery and add to the bowl.
- 3. Add the walnut pieces, mayonnaise, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Toss well.
- 4. Can be refrigerated for 1-2 hours to allow flavors to develop or served immediately.
*We recommend an avocado oil based mayonnaise such as Primal Kitchen, Sir Kensington or Chosen Foods. If egg allergy, then Chosen Foods Vegan Mayonnaise is a nice option.
A. is doing awesome! Tomorrow is actually day 6. Being off the probiotic was hard on her but she’s doing much better now. Tell Dr. McManus that she is a blessing from heaven because since the Wednesday night after her appointment A. has been falling asleep at night so quickly and staying asleep!!!!! I feel like a new person and she is feeling great too. Hug her for me. I think the CBD oil is really helping her.