Edited from The Ketogenic Kitchen, by Domini Kemp and Patricia Daly
1 large head of red or white cabbage, sliced or grated
½ teaspoon salt
Juice of ½ lemon or lime
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pomegranates, seeds removed
1 red onion, finely diced
¼ cup chopped mint
Black pepper to taste
1. Slice or grate the cabbage in a food processor (or purchase pre-shredded red or white cabbage in the produce section of grocery store).
2. Place the cabbage in a large bowl and season well with the salt, massaging it and tossing it into the slaw. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
3. Remove the seeds from the pomegranate. There are several good you tube videos showing how to do this and it’s very easy when done correctly.
4. Add the lemon or lime juice. Lemon juice will be more tart, lime juice a little smoother.
5. Then add the olive oil and toss.
6. Finally add the pomegranate seeds, diced onion, fresh mint and some freshly ground black pepper.
Notes and Serving Suggestions: Stores well in the refrigerator for several days. The red cabbage makes a fall festive color combination of red and green. Pairs well with lamb or fish.
Net Carbs: 13.3 grams
Fiber 7.1 grams
Protein 2.8 grams
Fat 6.9 grams