By Mila McManus, M.D.
COVID and the flu will travel into the new year with us, so I wanted to remind everyone to please support your immune system and overall health to avoid bad outcomes. I recommend a foundational daily minimum of vitamin D3, a multivitamin, and a quality probiotic. Preventing any illness means staying true to an integrative approach that is attentive to all of the key pillars of your health. Those key pillars include:
- A whole food diet and good hydration – maintaining balanced blood sugar is key (did you know that sugar immediately suppresses your immune system for up to several hours?)
- Moderate exercise
- Keep the gut healthy – easy on the alcohol, sugar, wheat, and pain relievers, while taking your probiotic and drinking bone broth
- Get quality rest and sleep
- Avoid toxins and support detoxification – see gut health above and step into the IR sauna too!
- Manage stress – take time for quiet meditation, practice yoga and/or deep breathing exercises
- Make use of appropriate supplementation – see below
For most, a healthy diet still cannot provide adequate nutrition for a strong immune system because of poor food quality, daily stressors, and the toxicity of our world. For those with compromised immune systems, or who are living and working in higher exposure areas, or traveling, a selection from the following supplements would be wise protective additions.
- Quercetin (inhibits viral replication)
- Whole Immune™
- Vitamin C
- Zinc 25-50mg daily
- Silverbiotics Silver Sol™
All of these options, along with common sense measures such as thorough hand washing and avoiding crowds, will help to make your holiday season and winter a healthy experience. If you are unsure about which supplements would be best for you, consult with our medical providers for a customized plan that’s right for you.