Lectins are specialized proteins commonly found in fruits, vegetables, seafood, and especially in grains, beans and seeds. They are not degraded by stomach acid or proteolytic enzymes, making them resistant to digestion. Certain lectins consumed in everyday foods can bind to cells in the gut and to blood cells, initiating a cytokine response and contributing to less than optimal digestive health. Lectin Control Formula is a unique blend designed to support against problematic lectins.
Supplement Ingredients and how they work: Lectins can bind to sugar residues of polysaccharides and amino sugars in the gut and on the intestinal cell surfaces. By consuming an array of these friendly sugar structures with the meal, they provide a decoy system in which “sacrificial” molecules are present to bind lectins and keep them from sticking to our cells and causing damage. These sugar decoys attract dietary lectins, bind to them and eliminate them through the gut. These sugars also encourage healthy bowel flora and enhance joint and synovial health. The decoy friendly sugar structures in Lectin Control Formula include:
- Mucins, which have been called digestive gatekeepers. They protectively line the digestive tract and moisten and lubricate the food we eat. Mucins protect against yeast, bacteria and food sensitivities and have lectin binding capacity.
- N-acetylglucosamine (NAG) is a specific form of glucosamine that most effectively binds the disruptive wheat lectin called wheat germ agglutinin (WGA). NAG also plays an important role in the human body with immune regulation, inflammation and cell signaling.
- Bladderwrack (focus vesiculosus) is a nutritious seaweed component which contains sugars called “fucoidins”. These sugars are especially capable of binding to lectins and microorganisms such as viruses, bacteria and yeast. Fucose is a favorite sugar attachment site on the surface of cells for Helicobacter pylori (the bacteria responsible for ulcers and gastritis) and Candida albicans. Use of Bladderwrack acts as a decoy as the L-fucose pulls the lectins and opportunistic pathogens away from binding to the gut lining and locks them up for elimination from the body without disrupting other balances in the GI Tract.
- Okra is a vegetable and rich source of lectin-binding protective mucilage. The Okra Extract, like the other ingredients discussed above, helps to remove existing lectins that are already attached to cells and helps to clean the intestines. It is also a rich source of bioavailable calcium.
- D-mannose is also a common binding sugar for lectins and pathogenic microorganisms, much like Bladderwrack.
- Sodium alginate is a soluble fiber derived from seaweed and is resistant to digestion. Colonic bacteria partially ferment sodium alginate to beneficial butyrate, which is food for the colonic epithelial cells. Sodium alginate is also used for detoxification.
Suggested use, 2 capsules at the beginning of each meal. Caution is given to not exceed the recommended daily servings. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition, take prescription drugs, have known hypersensitivity to iodine or hyperthyroidism, consult your healthcare professional before using.
 Pierini, Carolyn, M. Lectin Lock™: Natural Defense Against a Hidden Cause of Digestive Concerns and Weight Gain. Vitamin Research News. 2007;21(2):6