Carrot and Nut Pate
Makes 2 Cups
If you like hummus, this is a delightfully delicious swap!
2 cups carrots, roughly chopped or cut
¼ cup cilantro, minced
1 cup raw walnuts or pecans
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup cooking water from the carrots
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the carrots until they are just easily pierced with a fork (about 10-15 minutes depending on size). As soon as the carrots are tender, add the cloves of garlic and turn off the heat. Allow this to sit. Do NOT discard the water or drain the water off the carrots.
- Mince the cilantro and set aside.
- Toast the walnuts or pecans in a skillet over low to medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Toast until they release their fragrance.
- Use a slotted spoon to put the carrots and garlic cloves into a food processor. Reserve the cooking water. Add the nuts, raw apple cider vinegar and sea salt. Process until smooth and blended, thinning with the carrot water left from cooking them until a desired consistency is reached.
- Put the puree into a bowl and mix in the minced cilantro.
- Serve with crackers, celery, jicama, cucumbers, endive leaves and/or bell pepper strips.