This white chicken chili is a healthy recipe that won’t disppoint!
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 lb. chicken, light or dark*
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 1/2 cups of chicken broth*
- 3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini aka white kidney beans, rinsed and drained**
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 handful of baby spinach, arugula or kale leaves
- 1 medium Avocado, peeled and diced
1. Purchase “all natural “ or organic, skinless, boneless white and/or dark meat chicken. Using a sharp knife, slice pieces into 1-inch bite sized pieces. In a large, deep pot, or Dutch oven sauté the chicken in butter with the chopped onion and minced garlic until just done.
2. Add the chicken broth, cannellini beans, green chilies, oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt. Simmer for 30-45 minutes to allow flavors to blend and develop. If desired, add in the last 5 minutes of simmering, a small handful of fresh baby spinach, kale or arugula leaves for added nutrition.
3. Divide the chopped cilantro and avocado between four bowls. Ladle the chili over the top and serve.
*We recommend that you cook a whole chicken in a pot with water, celery, lemongrass and peppercorns to render your own yummy stock for this soup and the cooked chicken meat as well. Keep extra stock in the freezer for the next recipe.
** For those able to do so, we recommend purchasing dried beans, soaking them and preparing them in advance to avoid the BPA in cans. Additionally, you may want to look for a BPA-free lined can like Eden Organic. Trader Joes claims their canned beans are in a BPA free lined can.