- 1 head of green cabbage
- 6 slices of uncured bacon
- 1 Apple, cored and sliced, if desired
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Cut raw bacon up into bits and pieces. Using medium heat, cook the bacon bits and pieces in a skillet or Dutch oven until brown and crisp. Remove from the pan, reserving the bacon fat.
2. Wash the cabbage, remove the outermost leaf. Remove hard core. Cut the cabbage into quarters or six even slices. . Place the segments into the bacon fat. Lightly salt and add pepper to taste. Cover and sautee until desired tenderness about 5-10 minutes. If desired, add apple slices at the same time.
3. Dish cabbage and apples onto plates and top with crisp bacon crumbles.
If bacon is not used, simply cook the cabbage in butter or chicken broth.