We Can’t Ignore It
By Mila McManus, MD
This year, my staff and I have witnessed an undeniable escalation of concern about the constant barrage of electromagnetic radiation and its effects on our health and the health of our children.
Other names used for electromagnetic radiation include electrosmog and electro-pollution. This radiation occurs in the higher frequency ranges of the electromagnetic spectrum, usually as megahertz (MHz) and gigahertz (GHz). Our bodies need and require very low frequencies (0.1 to 32000 Hertz, or Hz) to live. These low frequencies are life-giving and restorative. Unfortunately, we greatly interrupt these healing frequencies, found in the human body and in the earth’s surface, with much higher frequencies that disturb and harm the human body (MHz and GHz). There is now a significant body of published scientific and anecdotal evidence that supports a correlation between these higher levels of electromagnetic radiation and various negative health effects including cancer, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, ADD, autism and a number of neurological disorders.
Sources of potentially harmful electromagnetic radiation include wireless technologies (WiFi technologies) such as cell phones, iPads, laptops, baby monitors and cell towers, as well as sources of power traveling through electrical wires into our homes and businesses called High Frequency Voltage Transients (HFVT’s). HFVT’s include electrical appliances/equipment of every kind, fluorescent light bulbs, AC/DC power mode converters, rectangular black boxes on power cords, televisions, computers, printer/copier/fax machines, dimmer switches, “smart” digital readers (SMART Meters), energy efficient appliances, cordless phone base stations and microwaves.
Electrical pollution is a difficult subject because we are all greatly exposed to it and our lifestyles are heavily dependent upon it. Most of the sources have become routine in the pattern of our everyday lives. We don’t feel it or see it, so it is easy to believe it does not exist. Yet 1 in 2 Americans have a chronic disease and 1 in 4 have multiple chronic diseases. Another real concern is for our children, including those still in the womb. Research shows radiation emitted from cell phones and Wi-Fi negatively impacts children’s development in the womb.
Our exposure increases as greater technological advances occur. For example, there are great concerns about the Smart Meters being added to residences and businesses, touted as “green energy”, as well as the imminent 5G mobile network and matching cell phones. Both of these additions are expected to increase microwave radiation from electromagnetic frequencies exponentially. Despite the fact that government and corporate entities have been informed of these health concerns, they appear to be far less concerned about potential harm to our health than implementing the next greatest thing in technology to reap the profits from it.
Here Are Ways to Protect Yourself and Your Family
- Put your phone in airplane mode when you are carrying it or sleeping near it.
- Consider a Faraday bag for your cell phone. faradaybag.com
- When using your cell phone, use the speaker phone and hold the phone at least 3 feet away from you.
- Decrease your time on the cell phone as much as possible.
- Explore the use of VoIP software phones that can be used while connected to the internet via a wired connection.
- Connect your desktop/laptop to the internet via a wired Ethernet connection and keep it in airplane mode as much as possible.
- Avoid using wireless keyboards, trackballs, mice, game systems, printers and portable house phones. Opt for wired versions.
- If you must use Wi-Fi, shut if off when not in use, especially at night when sleeping. Ideally work toward hardwiring your house so you can eliminate Wi-Fi all together. There are USB Ethernet adapters for notebooks that allow connection to the internet with a wired connection.
- Shut off electricity to the bedroom at night. This reduces electrical fields from the wires in your walls, unless there is an adjoining room next to it. In this case, a meter will help determine the severity of the electrical fields and if you need to shut off electricity in both rooms or not.
- Use a battery powered alarm clock, ideally one without any light. Talking clocks for the visually impaired work well.
- Replace your microwave oven with a steam convection oven, which will heat your food as quickly and far more safely.
- Avoid “smart” appliances and thermostats that depend on wireless signaling. This includes “smart” televisions. Consider replacing the TV with a large computer monitor instead, as this will not emit Wi-Fi signals.
- Refuse smart meters as long as you can or add a shield to an existing smart meter.
- Consider moving your baby’s bed into your room instead of using a wireless baby monitor. Alternatively, used a hard-wired monitor.
- Replace CFL and LED bulbs with incandescent bulbs. Ideally remove all fluorescent lights from the house. Fluorescent lighting emits unhealthy light and transfers a current to the body just being close to them.
- Do not use light bulbs you can control from your cell phone as they emit radio frequency just like a Wi-Fi router.
Here are some resources to learn more:
Book: How To Break Up With Your Cell Phone, By Catherine Price
Be Well, Choose Health