When summer in Texas rolls around, many of us get excited about Texas Gulf Shrimp and Texas Peaches. With that in mind, here is a different twist on salad and great summer patio food. We gave in to baby red potatoes allowing that they are minimal in portion, a very good source of vitamin B6, have more potassium than a banana and are also a good source of vitamin C, manganese and pantothenic acid. Don’t peel them, and stick with the recipe for a wonderful blend of flavors. Personally, I would grill the shrimp outside and slide them off skewers onto the prepared salad. If you are intimidated by all the herbs, consider using a heaping tablespoon of Bragg 24 Spice Sprinkle as a replacement for the tarragon, dill, parsley, celery seed and mustard seed.
- 3 tablespoons sea salt, divided
- 1 pound of peeled and deveined raw medium shrimp
- 8 ounces baby red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups sliced fresh peaches (about 3 medium peaches)
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce hearts (butter lettuce is also very nice)
- 2 cups thinly sliced watermelon radishes (4-6 radishes)
- 1 cup of pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 large garlic cloves)
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Place one quart of water and 2 tablespoon of sea salt in a large pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat. Add shrimp, then cover and let stand until shrimp curl and turn pink, about 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from water and cool on a wire rack on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, place potatoes, 1 tablespoons of salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While preheating, put a baking sheet in the oven with butter until it is melted. Remove from the oven and toss the pecans, sea salt and black pepper in the butter and return to the oven until toasted, about 10 minutes. Move pecans from the pan onto a paper towel and cool 5 minutes.
In a large salad bowl, make the dressing combining Champagne vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, shallot, herbs, celery seeds, mustard seeds and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Whisk together and gradually add the oil while whisking.
Add the shrimp and sliced peaches to the salad bowl. Gently toss dressing over them and let sit 5-10 minutes. Then add potato, romaine, and radishes to the bowl and gently toss together.
Evenly distribute among 6 plates; sprinkle with pecans and serve.